View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 04:26 PM
KenZ

Default Back at it again

Back at it again, back to dragging old sewing machines home after six months with no new machines. On 6/17/2014 foufymaus posted a thrift store find of a Singer 401A for $10.00. I read the post and shut down my computer and walked to my local Goodwill (about one mile). They had three machines for $24.99 each, two plastic machines with missing power cords and bobbin cases. I behind the plastic machines was a Singer 401A (I nearly jumped up and down right there). Thrift stores here in Southern California normally charge $40.00 plus for anything that runs let alone sews. I dug it out and found that the knobs and lever were frozen, explaining why not priced much higher. I walked home and told my wife and she asked me why I did not buy it and I stated that I did not want to spend the money. She chipped in $10.00 to be part owner and I picked up the machine after locating the power cord and foot control.

Then I went to another thrift store to see if my luck would hold. They had about five machines that looked like they had been parted out. In the group was a dirty machine case with Sears on the handle and a $19.95 price tag. I opened it and found a Kenmore model 158.17560 that looked good but dirty. When I picked it up a Singer box caught my eye, a Touch and Sew Accessories kit containing 17 disks that fit a 400A.

So I am back dragging machines home and enjoying my hobby again. Thanks to this blog and a special thanks to foufymaus for getting me started again.
Attached Thumbnails singer-401a-6-18-14-17-640x480-.jpg   kenmore-6-27-14-1-640x474-.jpg