View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM
madamekelly

Just a note to tell you about my new method for cutting pants off to be shorts.-
I tried for years to cut pants off straight, so that they would hang straight and be the right length. I kept getting the length right on the inseam, but the outside edge was always cut too short. Then while ironing slacks one day it dawned on me how to make it work.
Put the pants on, and stand in front of a mirror. Using a safety pin, put the pin right where you want the pants to stop. (Might take a couple tries unless you have an assistant.) now remove the pants and turn them center seams touching each other as if you were going to iron a crease. Now you can measure what ever hem length you need, and cut them straight across, leaving the seams to be snipped individually, because I don't want to dull the blades. (I have done the trimming with my rotary cutter, but you have to be real careful not to let the ruler slip on the seams because they are so thick in that area.) I add 1.5 inches so I can turn under half an inch, press, then turn under an inch, and press again. Stitch with matching or contrasting thread. I like having the extra thick hem because it helps keep the shorts from "drawing up" as I walk.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-04-2014 at 08:46 AM.