View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewsewchickie View Post
This pie is the favorite for most of my family!! Your ingredients are just a bit different, so I will include mine and the how to!!
Start with the pie shell. It should be punctured with tiny holes throughout the crust prior to baking to keep the crust from rising up in the pan. I always use a fork and then bake til edges are slightly brown- then let cool completely).
Next put 1 c. raisins & 1/2 c. sugar in pot.Mix and add just enough water to cover the raisins, and cook til raisins are tender and the water is almost absorbed. Add 1 c. sour cream,1 c. milk, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 slightly heaping T. cornstarch, and 2 egg yolks. Mix well and cook til thick stirring constantly, keeping out of the corners of the pan. Pour into the cooled baked pie shell.
Add meringue which is the egg whites from the above 2 eggs plus 1 more egg white. Add 3-4 T sugar and beat til soft peaks form. Add the meringue over the top of the warm filling making sure to spread the meringue to the edge of the filling so that it touches the crust. Pat the top of the meringue a couple of times,with the flat side of the spatula to give the meringue little peaks. Bake @350 degrees til meringue is brown on top.

Good luck & happy eating! Reading this has made me hungry so I think I will go make one for my 4th of July!
Thank you.

I have never tasted that pie - Mom was an excellent baker, but she very rarely baked pies at home! I am not generally a pie lover - unless it was custard, pecan, or some kind of cream pie.