View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

The thing I gave up when I first started was koolaid. Who would have thought it had wheat in it? We actually enjoy the gluten free life. It isn't really much of an issue. We have to cut out corn and soy as well due to intolerance issues. Those are much harder than the gluten. It seems there is corn starch and soy lecethin? in everything! I have had to go back to cooking completely from scratch. There are very few things I can buy all ready made.

I am wanting to try making my own barbeque sauce. I miss Cookie's BBQ sauce the most. I used to do BBQ ribs alot and loved them. but can't do that now.

You can still have yeast bread but you have to make it from scratch. I have seen baking mixes in the Gluten Free section. I just haven't tried them yet. I get Udi's hamburger buns and they taste pretty good. I don't like the crust so I cut that off but the bread in them is pretty good. I love it toasted the best.

I've been researching recipes and cooking GF for almost 2 yrs. I still don't have a great handle on baking with gluten free flours. I use an all purpose flour cause I just can't wrap my mind around mixing gf flours for the right consistency LOL

We started the second week of Sept 2012. We eat out alot but we only go to restaurants we know we have options to choose from. DH always gets steak and french fries. I get the smothered chicken comes with cheese and stir fried onions green peppers and mushrooms. Love it! I tend to get potatoes when we go out. I also like to get a steak at times or sometimes I get a bacon cheesburger with lettuce tomatoe and onion. Hold the bun. You can use the lettuce as a bun if the lettuce is big enough. It is different but it does work. I wrap it in a napkin to give it more stability but it tastes really good that way too.

One restaurant we go to have catfish and they will fry it without the flour if you ask. I have also gotten their huge deep fried taco without the taco. The meat and cheese and lettuce / tomato'/onion taste great eating it with a fork. I also love pork chops and will get that now and then.

Yes sometimes we cheat but not very often. I love Riverbend's lasagna and even tho I know I could make it gluten free at home I will get it at Riverbend. I've done that twice in the last year and a half.

It is possible to eat out but you do have to ask alot of questions and don't hesitate to ask. Most will be most happy to check for you.

BTW McDonald's uses a flavoring in their oil that has wheat in it. I found this on their gluten free menu online.

I'm trying to come up with vegetable dishes we could use. so if you have any ideas here that would be great!