View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Gladygirl

I bought a 4 by 8 ft piece of 1/2 inch thick good grade plywood and had the lumber yard cut it lengthwise into a 30 inch wide and 18 inch wide pieces. also bought a length of quarter-round-8foot will be enough. Cut into 1 foot lengths. Lay the 30 inch wide plywood on the floor with "good" side down--now place your regular ironing board (folded up) on top of the plywood and glue down the strips of quarter-round about an inch away from each side and end of the ironing board. This prevents board from sliding around or off. Let dry and set up ironing board with the plywood on top. I padded mine with a couple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil (to prevent warping of the board by steam) first-then a couple layers of cotton batting and made a cover from some heavy weight cotton. The cover has a drawstring thru a casing along the outside edge so it can be removed for laundering--I used a long length of narrow elastic for drawstring since that is all I had at the time. Have used this for several years and no warping. I like that it can be taken apart and stored separately if need be. Hope this is what you are looking for. You can make it narrower but wouldn't make it any wider because of stability problems.