View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Bree123

Default What color thread?

Is it okay to use a beige thread on a pink & white quilt? If not, what color should I be using?

I am newer to quilting & just finished a modified McCall's 6412 pattern, which is a dimensional quilt with tiny little doll-sized outfits hand appliqued onto nine different 9x12" white polka dot blocks. Surrounding each block is a 3" triple stripe of pink-white-pink (the pink is a batik with a bluish undertone). I have a bright blue batik border to bring in the main accent color from my pink, white & black dresses. My backing fabric (I hope) is a brightly colored pattern set in a black background.

The back is busy enough to tolerate a wide range of colors. The front is giving me trouble. I really wanted to use a beautiful Light Beige thread by aurafil (#9112) for the pink & white part and a variegated blue for the blue border. But I've been reading that "one should never" use anything other than pure white thread on a white fabric. I did the thread pooling test & the light beige looked good to me, but what do I know? I'm worried the Bubblegum variegated will detract from the beautiful applique & call too much attention to my beginning FMQ skills (quilting pattern is a simple 1" stipple). Is white-on-white really the only way to go?