Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 AM
nanna-up-north

Default Old sewing machines and great grandchildren

I just had to share this because I'm so encouraged. I've been feeling really 'down' because so many kids are so wrapped up in all the fancy technical stuff, my great-grand daughters as well. Sewing is becoming a lost art. My great grandchildren are 5 and 12 and last summer they came up to the cabin in the woods and all they wanted to do was swim and ride 4-wheelers. I have a FW at the cabin and the older one said she wanted to learn to sew while they were on vacation but then, she wasn't very interested in it.

Well, last week they were down at the winter house due to my mom's passing and they were so excited about sewing. The younger one LOVED my 1917 hand crank Singer 127 and the older one got really good on the 1952 Singer 15-91. They both made purses and pillows...... I had so much fun. I told them that I have a FW for each of them when they learn how to sew a little and can take care of the machines. So, I'm excited that my vintage machines have put a spark in them...... yeah, vintage!!

Since they live so far away from me, these sewing events come few and far apart. But since their dad loves these old machines as well, (he has a 1950s Singer 201) maybe I've ignited a spark!!