Old 07-06-2014, 02:15 PM
M.Elizabeth

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
We are called the sandwich generation because we are caring for both our parents and sometimes are grown children at the same time. Sometimes it isn't much fun being squashed in the middle. Quilting can help you keep your sanity.
I second Tartan's comments. My husband and I dealt with his parents and my mom (dad died many years ago) for a number of years. Both moms had dementia and lost control of bodily functions. They could not be left alone. My husband finally got his mother into a NH, and my sister and I were at that point with our mom when she suffered a stroke and died. At the same time, we were dealing with a son in prison and a son suffering PTSD and many related problems after two tours in Afghanistan. And we gained custody of prison son's two children after their moms lifestyle caused social services to remove them from her. We had to go to court to obtain custody, but they have now been with us over 10 years. In the meantime, all parents died. During that time my husband frequently asked, "What is so golden about these years?"