View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Needles

I've made four of them, years back. No Pattern. Pretty much like broomstick says. Mine were taffeta, 1 long, three were shorter versions. Made waist band, a size to pass your hips, for 1" elastic. Taffeta was 36" wide. For the long skirt, first layer was two 36" pieces, sewn into a circle, second layer was three 36" pieces, third layer was four 36" pieces, fourth layer was five 36" pieces. Each layer sewn into a circle. The layer widths were in my case, 10 1/2" each, I'm short. Then start putting your layes together. Being taffeta, all layers were sewn on, then zigzagged together. Rolled hem on the bottom. I have to tell you, it is a tiring job and one you will probably work on a little bit a day. The results, well, they are spectacular. Two of them I made matching ruffled peasant blouses. You will have a skirt with LOTS of material, the long one will make a circle if you pull it up on both sides, to your head. Don't forget, all the layers were GATHERED together. I really is a work of love. You can just make the elastic waist band, remembering it has to clear hips or easily go over your your head. Then cut two pieces the width of your fabric the length you want, sew them together then gather that circle onto your elastic waistband. It will look nice but not the spectacular look of the tiered on. To pleat them, every wash, I pulled them from waist down into a panty hose leg. Hang to dry. Took a week for my floor length tiered one to dry.