View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Koriana

Default Two Labyrinth-based quilts

When my brother Jonathan was in high school, I had just started quilting and asked him to look at a book of quilts and pick one out. My goal was to have it finished before he graduated. He chose a mariner's compass and at age 34, he still hasn't received a mariner's compass (though I have started one). His colors are green, blue and brown. A couple years ago, he was looking through a Keepsake Quilting catalog while visiting and discovered the Labyrinth pattern...He said that while it wasn't a mariner's compass, he rather liked the pattern. I took a look at it and thought I could make that up pretty quick and surprise him for Christmas...Of course, I named the quilt "NOT a Mariner's Compass". I'll still get that one done for him (eventually). The pattern was so much fun and so easy that I decided that I'd make another one for my sister, Andi, who love's red and black. But as I started working on it, I realized how four repeats of the innermost intertwined section would fit perfectly within the outermost square to create a different pattern. I think it turned out well and both were surprised to receive the gifts. It was difficult for me to work with such dark fabrics. One of my niece's also loves red and black and her brother loves black...I will be finishing my niece's quilt for delivery in September and will have my nephew's for his high school graduation next year.
Attached Thumbnails jons-labrynth.jpg   jons-labyrinth.jpg   through-glass-darkly-quilted.jpg