Thread: Eq7 ?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 AM
dray965

Is there a learning curve to it?

Yes there is, just as there is with any new software. If you are computer savvy, and don't mind reading the manual, you'll have no problems at all. If you hate reading manuals, you might be saved by the fact that there are videos and several print-out lessons that come with it. Of course, not being afraid to just get in there and play with it will speed things up for you.

What do you like best @ it?

Absolutely everything! Even if I have bought a paper-pattern, I always recreate it in EQ7 so I can put my own fabrics in to see if I like what I'm about to do prior to cutting. Many times the patterns that I like in books/mags/individual patterns are not in the size that I'm wanting to make. I can put the pattern into EQ7 and enlarge/reduce, put my colors in. EQ7 will calculate the yardage for me. I recently made a king-size quilt from a quilt-maker pattern that was a full-size quilt.

I also love that I can make my own appliques. I used the software to design a RAZORBACK football quilt for my pastor, who is a big fan. I used th quilt block ARKANSAS TRAVELER that I found on a website, created it in EQ. Then I imported a pic of their mascot and drew it in the Appleque part of EQ, put it in the middle of my quilt design. It turned out beautifully. EQ calculated the yardage, gave me cutting info for the block, and templates for my applique design.

The only thing it doesn't do is write the pattern.

What do you hate about it?

I hate the fact that it doesn't export the whole quilt picture as a metafile. It does export a block as a metafile, but not the whole quilt. Exporting the block allows me to pull the pieces apart when I am pattern writing in my MSWORD software.

I hate the fact that, when posting to their staff on their forum, they sometimes take days or weeks to get an answer.

Should I wait for the the EQ8?

If you do, you may wait quite a while. I've not heard anything about an upcoming newer version. I'm on the forum and their website quite often.

Would you suggest I purchase it? If so why or why not?

If you enjoy using software and learning how to do new things that might be temporarily frustrating, I would. If you don't like software and hate being frustrated as you learn, then certainly not.

What is the best place to purchase it from?
Can't help you there. I bought my first one (EQ6) from a LQS and my EQ7 from their website.