View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
Originally Posted by Dina
My advice is more on the line of buying fabric. When I first started, I would buy fabric in one yard pieces. (This wasn't matching fabric, mind you, just fabric I liked.) I discovered later that one yard rarely is enough for what I wanted, since I didn't (and don't) usually have a pattern in mind when I fall for fabric. Now I buy at least two yards. Sometimes more.

Dina
I do just the opposite: I buy 1/4 or ½ yard, then use similar colors as the "same" and end up with more variety. I would hate to see my stash in 2 yard increments. Yikes! That's a lot of fabric.
LOL!! And if my stash were all ½ yard or smaller pieces, it would be totally useless to me. We are all individuals, with individual tastes and habits.

You are clearly a scrap quilter and that's fine if that's your choice. However, to advise a novice quilter to buy only small amounts (¼ to ½ yard cuts) of lots of different fabrics is to force her down the scrappy road before she has any experience with all the other choices out there. Fewer, larger cuts at the same cost simply keep all the doors open, scrappy included, to let the new quilter find her own personal style. She's owed that much from us veterans.

My advice to new quilters is way off the main trend of this thread. It is simply this: Never be afraid to fail. Constant success teaches us little or nothing, the big lessons come from failure...how we handle it, how we alter behavior because of it, how we overcome it. Growth, both as a quilter and as a person, is the result.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-09-2014 at 05:32 AM.