View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Rodney

Part 2: We're at the point where we need to make everything fit together.
I designed this box using pinned half lap joints for a good combination of strength and simplicity. It's
certainly not the only way to put a box together but is strong and much simpler than a box joint to make.

Step 6: We need notches cut in the ends of the front and back boards cut to the thickness of your end boards by
1/2 the thickness. In this case 3/4"x 3/8".
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482519[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482520[/ATTACH]

You can do it by hand as shown or use a tablesaw like I did for the rest of them.

Step 7: Label your front and back boards. They're different from here on.

Step8: Cut a notch in the inside top of your back board along its length 3/8" wide by 3/4" deep for your hinge support
board to sit in. Omit this step if you're not using hinges.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482528[/ATTACH]
I forgot to take a picture of the finished notch.

Step 9: Cut a notch in the top inside edge of your front board along it's length 1/8" deep by 1/4" wide. Your
machine's front will sit in this notch when the box is done.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482521[/ATTACH]

Step 10: Assemble the sides. PREDRILL YOUR NAIL HOLES! If you don't you run a real risk of splitting your boards.
Make sure the tops of your front and back boards are at the top. Glue each joint. Put 1 nail in each end
of the end boards at a very slight angle toward the center of your front and back boards.
Put 2 nails in at each corner from the front and back boards into the end boards. You should end up with 3 nails at each joint, 2 from the front or back and 1 from the side. This effectively locks the joint in place.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482522[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482525[/ATTACH]

Step 11: Glue and nail the bottom on. I used brass brads about 5/8" long on mine. They're small enough that no
predrilling is necessary.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482526[/ATTACH]

Step 12: Cut and install your hinge support board. Mine ended up at 1 3/8" wide by 12 7/8" long. Glue the notch in
back board that it sits in and the ends of the board. Nail thru the side boards into the ends of the support
board for added support.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482530[/ATTACH]
The above picture shows the nail in the end of the hinge support board and the nail in the end of the side into the back board.
I also nailed the support board to the back board from the back. Be careful not to nail into the area where your hinges will be like I almost did.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482531[/ATTACH]

This is a good stopping point for Part 2. The basic box is assembled and we just have a few details to finish it.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails machine-base-project-008.jpg   machine-base-project-010.jpg   machine-base-project-012.jpg   machine-base-project-014.jpg   machine-base-project-013.jpg  

machine-base-project-015.jpg   machine-base-project-017.jpg   machine-base-project-011.jpg   machine-base-project-019.jpg   machine-base-project-021.jpg