View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Rodney

Part 3: When we finished part 2 we had the basic box assembled at Step 12. On to the next step.

Step 13: Use a nail set to set all your nails below the surface. It just looks better.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482533[/ATTACH]

Step 14: Measure and mark carefully the location of your hinges.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482534[/ATTACH]

Step 15: Drill the holes for your hinges to the depth of the hinges. The Singer cabinet hinges I'm using are 1 1/8" diameter. The only bit I had that would work was an adjustable auger bit for an old hand brace. Even though I was as careful as possible I still had a little tear out next to the hole that I had to glue back down.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482535[/ATTACH]

Step 16: Using a narrow chisel cut out the slots for the hinge pins. Sorry, no picture for this step.

Step 17: If you're like me not all your joints are perfect. Trim or sand off the excess wood.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482536[/ATTACH]

Step 18: Fill the nail holes and sand the whole box. I haven't done this yet, but will.

You're basically done. All that is left is to finish the box to your liking. You can leave it natural, varnish or paint it, or cover it with whatever you like. I'm leaving that up to you.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482538[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482539[/ATTACH]

I hope this tutorial makes sense and that I haven't left out some important detail. Mostly though this isn't rocket science and I hope it encourages you to make your own.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails machine-base-project-016.jpg   machine-base-project-022.jpg   machine-base-project-023.jpg   machine-base-project-018.jpg   machine-base-project-024.jpg  

machine-base-project-025.jpg