Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 AM
J.M.

I am so close to finishing my Irish Chain quilt. I just need to quilt the borders, put the binding and label on, and done. And then....I decide that between the straight lines on either side of the 'chains', the solid color blocks look a little empty... So, I've decided to do a shamrock (outline only) in each block (which is either 45 or 50 blocks, I don't truly remember and I'm afraid to count). So...more work and not finished by a long shot! On the upside, once I've got the borders quilted, I can take out most of my basting thread, so that's not in the way when doing the shamrocks.

Sometimes, I think this quilt will be the never-ending-UFO, but then I see how wonderful it's becoming and I don't regret all the work at all. besides, my hand piecing and quilting skills have soared with this quilt. It's all straight lines for the quilting (well, until the borders and the shamrocks) and simple piecing, so very good for improving my skills. I've noticed I'm faster with my quilting now as well, while my stitches definitely look better.