View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Rodney, your tutorial is so good any one will be able to make a base for any machine. We all strive for perfection but we never make it. I am also looking for a suitable covering for the tops but never found any I like. I did find some once in automotive upolstry fabric that was thin enough and looked like the old stuff. I have been known to use course canvas and then varnish the heck out of it and it looked really good on the case. You can always paint it in the appropriate color before shellacing or varnishing. Just a thought but it does work.
Canvas or fabric then paint or shellac isn't a bad idea. That might be the direction I end up going. It might be pretty close to what was done originally in some cases too.

Times change and it seems that the original covering materials used for vintage cases have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm sure there's someone somewhere sitting on a pile of the stuff but I can't find them. I tried searching suitcase restoration and drew a blank there too.

Most of what I've seen in the way of fake leather and alligator have been too thick. I don't think they would be appropriate, not to mention it would be difficult to get the corners right on them. From what I've seen (not much I admit) the original covers were thin.
I need to see (and feel) some in person but there are some wallpapers out there that look like they come pretty close on the computer screen. Next time I'm somewhere that sells a selection I'll take a look at the samples.

This does bring up another issue. If you plan on adding a covering to the outside of the case allow for the thickness of whatever you use. The hinges on mine are a really close fit and may not want to seat in the holes properly if I add a covering.
Rodney