Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Basketman

I am a relatively new quilter, who took one ultra quickie course doing a Judy Niemeyer runner for a challenge. Mostly observed as I was the only beginner in the class of over achievers and then did the runner on my own time. Then made a king sized paper pieced top ( being quilted as I write) but with a repetitive block...so I really got the approach down BIG TIME and discovered why these curvilinear designs make it more interesting! Then I took a discounted paper pieced course from a Craftsy to pick up some additional shortcuts and recently discovered DeJonge...wow WOW!! Liked the complexity, huge color pallet and ultimately picked a mid-level pattern with an endless amount of matched curves. Her templates do not have seam allowances... so what she shows in her video (bought that too) is to stitch around the edge using a 1/4" foot and then cut on the sew line. I made plastic templates adding a 1/4 seam using a compass and tracing the various arcs. Beware that some patterns might not have "paper templates" in the quantity needed and that a copyright should make an office supply store resist doing copies. Should they agree... only copy paper will likely be used and some say this type of paper is a big no no but it can/does work. I tried taking my initial block design, that gave you permission to copy, to a print shop because it was larger than standard copy sizes but finding newsprint that feeds properly, sizing and quantities all need to be considered. Newsprint from the local newspaper and cut to size...another wasted effort. The internet ultimately offered options on newsprint sizes but by then I had given up.

Back to construction:
Just remember the design is in reverse...so you might be tempted to sew from right to left but the finished piece is attached from right to left ...so sew left to right... hope this makes sense?

Hints: toss your add a quarter...big waste of time unless you cannot estimate and so what if you are off here and there the stitch length is so short...who cares? On the tight arcs...clip ( multiple times) the inner curve of the piece to attach, remove paper ( I suggest that you baste the multicolored curved sections with a long stitch to prevent stretching)...and then attach the base colors. Tried utube and bought some foot that was supposed to be great...might be for someone more dexterous than myself, but if you keep at it they get better and better. Besides I was told "once it is all quilted you will never see the slight variations...so stop being so OC!" So this is my crash course on J DeJ...she is one amazing designer, you can even play with her color suggestions and make it more "your own"...just go for it.

If you get into a snag write me...by the time you start doing yours I might have solved most of the problems and I can share more. I am a shortcut kind of guy who likes to make "jigs" but I do not cut corners when it comes to the final product...so if an amateur can do it you can too!

Last edited by Basketman; 07-13-2014 at 12:24 PM.