View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM
scrapatches

Default Easy Patchwork Lattice Baby Quilt

Hello!

I am Pat in Massachusetts. I have been a member for a long time but have not posted much. There is so much creative quilting happening here that I am not sure why I have been away so long. I hope to be a more frequent member in the future again.

I am working on a new method for adding lattice to a top or making patchwork plaid and interwoven quilts. I am vision impaired and I need to find easy method that work for me. I hope you enjoy this too.

I am adding a photo of my WIP on my design wall.

My scrap squares were 4.5" so I cut my white lattice strips at 1.25" I sewed them directly to my top and then used my regular quilting ruler with the 1/4" line on the seam and cut along the outside on my seam line for my 1/4" seam. The I lined up my squares and sewed the two pieces back together. I did not pin. Since I am vision impaired, I use touch a lot to match my seams. I am finding this very easy to do.

If I were using regular 5" charm packs, I think I would cut my strips at 1.5" to look proportional.

For a layer cake, I would cut 2.5" strips or use a jelly roll.

I am taking the old idea that "if you can sew a straight line, you can make a quilt" to try "if I can sew a straight line I can cut a straight line."

I hope you enjoy trying this yourself ... have a happy quilty day ... Pat
Attached Thumbnails 1-my-design-wall-961x1024-.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-14-2014 at 11:29 AM.