Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
We always had "outside" dogs when our kids were young, but as a senior citizen, I like my dog in the house to protect me from strangers at the door, etc, plus just plain companionship. But dogs, like children, need rules. They can't be allowed to be the "boss" of the house. The human has to always be the alpha dog, no matter the size of the dog. My Dane knows I am her boss. She recently learned that she could go down the stairs to the basement with me, so loves to sleep on her bed while I am sewing. I watch carefully for pins on the floor. She occasionally will put her head in my lap looking for a little love while I am sewing, but now knows that when I say "Excuse me" it is time for her to go lay down. It doesn't matter how cute they are, they need rules, and really shouldn't be in the sewing room at all, for their own safety.
well said... we have to teach them rules, rules are to be followed & who the alpha is. i currently have a german wire haired pointer as my canine companion. he loves our quiet time when i am sewing, quilting or reading. and he too will occassionally lay his head in my lap for loves or to beg a game of kickball. but it has been a long time getting this rambunctious character to accept the rules. he was dumped on our rural property two yrs ago, & is finally becoming a nice companion.

oh ..his exploits first year were legendary. earned him the title Psycho Pup from a dear friend of mine! )