View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Knitette

I'm another one who didn't learn to quilt until after I retired. I couldn't thread a sewing machine before that, although I do have vague memories of operating a treadle machine at school.

I had no idea quilting as a hobby existed, even though there was a shop called '******* Quilt Company' next to my local supermarket. I thought it was an industrial quilt company (as in duvet' what you call 'comforter'). The shop is upstairs and has no store front.

Quilting is often seen as an 'old lady' hobby, but I think it's more to do with the fact that we often have more time on our hands and less demand on our disposable income perhaps. More women work outside the home now, juggling job and children and have little time, money (or even room) for a hobby like quilting.

I can't see it dying out. In fact, in the UK, I think sewing in general, is becoming more popular. Television programmes such as, 'The Great British Sewing Bee' and 'Kirsty's Homemade Home' have been hugely popular (although you would faint if you saw the quilt, lol). Also, recycling and 'upcycling' is becoming more fashionable too. In times of austerity people invariably become nostalgic.

I think the quilt industry is safe for the foreseeable future.