View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
As others have suggested, I would refer to your dealer having this conversations when you take your DSM in for it's servicing. I was told when I bought my Bernina in the 90s, to use Mettler Silk Wrapped thread. Now that a variety of others have come out, I still prefer to use the old reliable Mettler.
Mettler thread is "silk finish" not silk wrapped. There technically is no silk in it, it is 100% cotton, it is just a name they gave the finish of their thread. Think paint, it comes matte, satin and glossy.

http://www.mettlerthreads.co.uk/acatalog/MettlerSilkFinish150m.html

To the OP, I think Quilt E gave you the best advice. Thread and needles, like fabric and batting are completely subjective. There are several quality products on the market and several economy ones. I prefer Schmetz needles but I use many different types of threads for piecing and quilting. I even use two different threads at the same time. Right now I am very happy using Superior's bottom line in my bobbin for piecing and Aurifil 50wt 2 ply in the top. But I have used other products I was equally happy with and there are many I have not tried yet like masterpiece by superior and Presencia. For quilting I would never, ever limit myself to one type/brand of thread. Depends on the look you are trying to achieve and the application. Sometimes what works best for you in one situation does not in another.

One thing I thought I would mention, is that all the threads I currently use and love can not be bought in a box store like walmart, Joannes or hobby lobby. I have to order on line, pick them up a LQS or at a show. so if you limit yourself to only what you can get locally (as opposed to buying on line) you may never find the right combination for you.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-17-2014 at 04:49 AM.