View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 06:02 AM
GrandmaSewNSew

I was new to embroidery a few months ago (and still think I am new).
One thing I've discovered from reading online and practice is that you really need to try out various threads to see what your machine likes and dislikes. I ordered different brands from Discount Embroidery Supply. You will find that the spools are different and may have an impact on how you view the thread. For example, my dealer strongly recommended Robison-Anton. When my thread arrived I was in love with the shine of the Floriani and the spools (they have a larger area underneath that can sit over a bobbin (hope that's clear). I wasn't so impressed with the Robison-Anton spools. I ordered various other thread such as Maderia, Isacord (kind of flat shine-wise), Superior Threads brand, and some from a company called Fil-tec which I haven't used yet (they are a great source for bobbin thread). Anyway, as it turned out, I did like the Robison-Anton the best as the spools just seem to work best with my machine (Janome). I had shredded threads with the Floriani. But I only have one spool of it so I wouldn't say that would always be the case.
I've had little problem with the various thread but due to the difference in the thread spools, some have to be put on the machine with a large cap, small cap, some on vertical pin- so that's a pain to remember and to do when you are changing colors. You will most likely want to find your brand and stick with it.
You will get many different opinions on thread just as you'll get different opinions on machines. So just as you tried out different machines before deciding on the one that was best for you, you should use that process with thread in my opinion.