View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I've been told a "scant seam" is one needle width shy of the 1/4". So here's how I'd do it. I'd use a bed mounted seam guide and a plastic ruler. I have several that are so thin a sewing machine needle will punch through easily.
Punch a hole one needle width shy of 1/4" then use the ruler to set the fabric guide.

I use the ruler method in all cases where I do not use my 1/4" foot with the edge guide. It's very easy to set your fabric guide that way.

Joe
hi joe, i usually agree w all you share. but here we diverge. i have the seam guide that came w my machine. it was my grmothers. i never saw her use it, & now i don't use it. like her, i sew over pins. esp w delicate, intricate piecing. she made my play clothes on it, i have used it for clothing, household accessories and now quilt piecing. but sewing over pins, they get snagged by the seam guide. i tried using it. tried pulling pins as i went along.it's just easier to go my own way and skip the seam guide. and my seams are a scant 1/4" when i check them once in a while.

note: regarding the use of scant 1/4" seams. read about a new thread being carried in nancys notions catalog. it is thin, 2-ply 50 wt. sounds similar to aurifil thread. they said because the thread is so thin, it sits into fabric better resulting in less bulk to the seams and that it negates the need for "scant" 1/4" seam allowances. i am a new user of aurifil...plan to test the theory on some scraps.