Thread: Elmer's Glue
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 AM
citruscountyquilter

Use washable glue. Any brand is fine. I get it on sale if I can for around $1.00 or less a bottle. I put my glue on the BATTING not the backing. By doing it this way there is no glue seeping through to the surface below. The batting is also heavier and so you don't have as much problems with wrinkles.

Here's the process I use: Lay the batting down. Lay the backing on top of that. Fold back half of the backing exposing the batting. Hold the glue bottle about a foot or more above the batting and get a fine stream of glue coming out. Work in a zig zag squiggle pattern with the glue. You don't need much. One regular size bottle of glue will do a twin size quilt and then some. Once the glue is down I fold the backing back over the glued part and smooth down with my hand. If I'm in a hurry I put a hot dry iron to it. Usually I just wait for it to dry and then move on to another section. I do mine on a table and the whole quilt won't fit on the table so I do it in sections. If you're using a surface where the whole quilt will fit then do the whole thing at once. Once the glue is dried flip the two layers over and repeat the process by putting the glue on the batting and smoothing the top over that.

Very easy. No taping. Can be done on a relatively small surface. No crawling around on the floor. No messy overspray. No sore fingers from pinning. You must wash the quilt after it is quilted to remove the glue. I wash in warm water with extra water. Cold water will not take out the glue.