View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Dogwood Quilter

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I do not make my soap but remember my Mother and Grandmother made really large batches of what they called lye (?) soap when I was growing up. It must have been something really special because other family members seemed so happy when they were offered a bar and I don't recall anyone ever turning one down. The women just talked about how shinny it made their hair. I think it must have had hog fat in it as they always made their soap around the time my Dad and Grandfather slaughtered a hog. I haven't thought about this in years so thanks for the memories. And, does this sound familiar to anyone else? LOL
I've made lye soap as did my mother and mother in law. Yes it is made with fat, aka mostly hog. It can be lard or meat fryings. There is a cold method and a cooked method. Lard was rendered in a very large kettle over an open fire at hog killing time. It has been so many years since I made lye soap I don't remember how I did it. Since our culture has moved away from the use of animal fat in cooking, I think it has become a lost art. Ah the memories. Thanks for reminding me.