View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 09:42 AM
LyndaOH

Following up on what Jeanne said, your local area may have a micro-business lending program. I was part of one when I started my business and it was tremendously helpful. They encouraged me to go for an SBA loan which is what I eventually did, but there were several participants that we did lend to. Loans are usually in the $5,000 and under range. You'll meet with a group of other micro business owners regularly who will also provide support, suggestions, feedback, etc. There will also be a group facilitator who will be more experienced and will guide the loan process. In my community this was coordinated by a state wide organization which had a revolving fund for loans. I would start with your chamber of commerce to see if this exists in your state.

Putting on my other hat as a website developer, I cannot stress enough how many sites I've built for small businesses that have eventually failed because the businesses weren't willing to promote their sites. I'm not a marketer; I just create the code that makes your site work. The marketing part is up to the site owner and can be quite expensive, especially in a crowded field like quilt shops. There are a lot of ways to promote, but almost all of them come at a substantial cost. In addition, if you aren't well versed in how to update your site (add and remove fabrics) you will be paying a substantial fee for that. Our minimum charge is for 15 minutes. I'm not going to share our hourly rate, but it's up there. It adds up very quickly.

And putting on my hat as a female business owner, I can't help but cheer you on. There's a lot of negatives but for me at least the positives outweigh them. You have to proceed carefully and with your eyes wide open. If you do, you can make it work and make it worthwhile.

Good luck!