View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Bree123

Default When to Outline Dimensional Appliques

I have heard advice on both sides of the aisle, so I guess I'm wondering if there is some kind of functional aspect to outlining appliques (since they puff out, have rick-rack, have iron-on buttons, etc, I cannot quilt over or on top of the applique work) or is it purely aesthetic?
Note: I will have to leave a 1/8" space around the applique to accommodate ruffles & rick-rack, so this would not be a stitch-in-the-ditch style outline, but rather, more like a single row of an echo-style outline.

Also, I have heard conflicting opinions about when to outline them (if there is a functional benefit to me doing so). Some say the quilt will get puckers in it if you outline them all before you begin filling around them, so you should outline them as you arrive at each applique. Others say that won't happen, and that you won't have as many threads to bury if you outline & fill at the same time. Still others say it doesn't matter at all & it's just a matter of "how your brain works". Anyone know what the pros-and-cons are to when to echo-outline an applique? (I have 9 large applique pieces)

Thanks a bunch for an experiences you all can share!!!!!