View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Bree123

I have one & I love it! Be sure to take it for a tune-up at a Singer repair shop. Mine had been sitting in my mom's closet for a couple decades before she passed it on to me; the tune-up was well worth the cost. It has been a great little sewing machine. Wonderful for piecing. Does well with a walking foot. I just started FMQ, so I can't really speak to how it will do with that since my FMQ skills are very-beginner.

Also, be careful about buying parts for it online. I've been burned a couple of times. Now I bring a foot with me to the store/repair shop if I need a different foot & otherwise rely on a Singer-authorized reseller for any parts. I've also noticed on mine that sometimes the screw on the bobbin case starts to get a little lose... easy enough to tighten it with a flat head or a butter knife. Finally, I probably was just ignorant about sewing machines, but I learned recently that if the thread breaks (btw, tension for regular sewing is 4 - with a walking foot I put it at 2.5, for FMQ with Aurifil thread I set it at 1.5) to cut the thread up by the spool and pull it from the needle end if there's a jam. I have far fewer probs since I started doing that.

Enjoy your Genie!