View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Bubbie

Hi Mary,
Your sound like you have given a lot of thought to this. So PLEASE don't think I'm a wet blanket (I too have and still am working for my self). You want to lay out a business plan (even if your paying for everything on your own), this gives you the outline for your business and how your going to grow with your business (business go under each day, but it's for a LOT of reasons - one that most people don't think of and somethings don't understand is growth - uncontrolled growth. Uncontrolled growth (doesn't sound bad), hurts and kills more small business than lack of money. When you grow faster than you can keep up, your unable to fill orders, wait time is long, things get lost, etc... Something you should think about (because you have time), looking into some small business classes. A lot of SBA have workshops to help, even if you are not getting a loan from them. The SBA always looks for small business that work, to help show others it can be done. You might even think about looking into taking a class or two on web building or at least learn how to update your own web page, this way you and your husband can take ALL of your own pictures and download them as well as keeping your customers updated with news letters (on line). But you must also have a plan in play on shipping. Make sure you know if you will be going to the post office and at what time, or are you planning to have your postal person pick up on his normal run. If your postal person is picking up, as your business grows will you be able to add a later pick up to his normal time. Also look around your area for a women's business group, some of them have people who will help other new (women owned), business owners. Sometimes it's with money, but most of the time it's with mentoring. But this is VERY valuable information they have. I'm sorry if I sound like a wet blanket, what I've said is only meant to help. I'm sure you will receive a lot of help from all of the member of the QB. Good Luck