View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I have been to two quilting retreats where we worked on a Marti Michelle quilt using her templates. I will never do another. The templates are way too expensive. The first was a Storm at Sea quilt. I had to buy three sets of templates to make it, and after getting it all cut out, the blocks won't even go together easily. That quilt went into the Mighty Zip Loc Graveyard. This past year, having not learned my lesson apparently, I went to another to make Six of One-Half Dozen of Another. Thought it couldn't possibly be that bad-just had to buy ONE template. The kicker was that when you got your strips sewn together and cut out the pieces you needed (triangular) you had another complete quilt set of the pieces that would become waste. Didn't waste money on templates that time-wasted a ton of money on fabric! So, I am through with Marti Michell. There are plenty of patterns for Storm at Sea that do not require templates! And I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these pieces left over from the second quilt. Why would anyone want TWO of the same quilt??? Sheesh!
Love the Mighty ZipLok Graveyard! That's where my Judy Niemyer quilt project is. A waste of good batik. The instructions were full of errors and the pre-class homework (after downloading corrections from her site) was still wrong. You really got me laughing. No more UFO's for me!!!

And you are right about Storm at Sea - you can buy a template - one plastic ruler- or not. Go by Ellen Burns. Someone in my quilting group did one and it was a stunner.