View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM
ItsPatti

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I know what you mean. It's a class designed to sell merchandise, a lot of which you could possibly do without. She's in business to make money, which is perfectly legitimate, but when all is said and done, it boils down to cost vs. benefit. If you think you will be making more of her designs, the investment in her tools and rulers might be worth it; possibly not if you think this will be a one time thing. Good luck with your decision!
I agree with all the posts above, we can all use whatever tools and methods we like. In fact, I still recommend to beginning quilters that they play with graph paper and colored pencils to learn about block grids, etc, and also spend a little time marking and hand piecing to understand seam allowances and pressing before taking things to the machine.

Full disclosure, I work for Marti, but I've been quilting since 1979 and working in the industry in many capacities almost as long. I just wanted to pop in here and clarify for any future readers that Marti's tools are not made just for Marti's patterns. They are basic sizes of common shapes and they can be used with anyone's patterns to cut hundreds of 9 patch and 4 patch, etc. block designs. And the double-blunted corners make matching pieces for sewing really easy (esp. squares to triangles, no extra fabric sticking out at the beginning and end of the seam).