View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 AM
nanna-up-north

Welcome to the QB and to quilting, Monale.

It looks like you're getting some good suggestions. I love hand quilting but am slow at it. So, I only hand quilt the ones that I think deserve the extra time. And, I've tried several different threads..... all of them are labeled for hand quilting. I LOVE YLI thread but the color choices at my LQS are limited. And, I've used Coats & Clark thread as well. American, I'm not so fond of. I agree with the suggestion about keeping the length of your thread shorter than you would expect. I learned so much from a group of quilters at one of the LQS that I frequent. They charge for their hand quilting by the yards of thread that is used. So, the thread is cut in 36" lengths. That works for me, too. And they suggested that I use a finger cot.... looks like a rubber finger end .... it helps me pull the needle through the cloth. I was having to use a little pair of pliers because I wasn't able to grip the needle strong enough to pull it through. And, I have 2 thimbles that I use just for hand quilting.... one that fits my thumb for sewing away from me because I use a quilting frame and not a hoop... and one for my middle finger for quilting toward me.

Good luck deciding which thread, needle and thimble you like the best. It's a learning process, for sure. And, do show us how it's going. We love to see other people's quilts.