Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 PM
auntjo

This is so the thread I need. I have several UFOs - at least one over 30 yrs old. Another over 15yo & some slightly younger but still over the 10 yr mark.. & then there are more recent (within those past 10 yrs.) The tops are mostly done. On a few, some or most of the quilting is even done - but not all the way... Partly because there are a few I really wanted to finish by hand - because I am a purist (but having to get real about arthritis in my fingers & wrists). My avatar is one of 4 Xmas quilts done at the same time about 12yrs ago. First two have been completed & received by two oldest D's. Last two are for two youngest boys who haven't yet established their homes - so no rush...tho I took one w/me to work on when I stayed w/my Mom in Iowa for a couple months (Jan-Feb 2013) after my Dad died. I ended up wearing a hand brace for my wrists better part of last summer/fall w/everything. I am only now feeling like I can put my own quilts on my Tin Lizzie & do something other than a pantograph. There is even one of my own which has the overall panto. quilting done, but in my wisdom I decided I needed to add another border to make it useful on a bed - everything is cut & marked & there it has sat. I've done several charity quilts using pantographs so I could learn the machine. But everything in my life came to a grinding halt over 3 yrs ago when my husband died suddenly. My semi-retirement ended as well & I had to return to teaching for a couple years. I am now officially retired. Have majorly downsized my belongings, sold my house, moved to another state & kickstarted my life into the next chapter & am having fun in my studio again. I did complete my Farmers Wife Sampler top earlier this year (started w/group on here in 2009?), have pieced a backing & am now feeling like I can comfortably custom quilt it on the machine, but have just completed another top "Lady of the Lotus" that I will quilt on my machine first as the directions are given for it's custom quilting so I don't have to think about that. My backing fabric should arrive Monday for that one. The 30+yo "Trip Around The World" is the one I am trying to finish now. I am adamant about finishing it by hand as the center is entirely hand cut & handpieced & everything but the border has been handquilted. The completed center sat for several years when my 2nd set of kids were little & I had very little time for stitching running a daycare. After the 1st 10 yrs I figured out the borders, found a backing I liked. Sandwiched it & put it on the handquilting frame. Then hung it on the wall basted to the end rails for several more years til I got comfortable w/how I wanted to quilt it the center & got 'er done. My original vision was to do parallel lines for the border & I started that. Then I decided to follow the suggestion of the guild I quilted w/at the time & do crisscrossing lines instead. Went for it - on 3 sides & I'm not happy w/it so it has again sat while life has done it's thing around me & I'm now back into completing the original parallel line side & will then rip out the crisscross & do the straight parallel lines on the last 3 sides. Yes it is bothering my hands already & I've only been at it a couple weeks so far, but hopefully this time I will get it finished to hang on the living room wall of my new home in my new life. Then onward to finally tackling the next oldest California Poppy quilt, which at this point will have to be custom done on the machine I'm sure. I know I can't manage another entire quilt by hand.
Attached Thumbnails trip-around-world-web-ready.jpg   dscf1330resizedfor-web.jpg   lady-lotus-completed-top-web-ready.jpg   california-poppy-quilt-web-ready.jpg