View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 01:53 AM
quilt938

Default Need ideas for embroidery blocks pls

I've had an ongoing hand embroidery project for about 10-12 yrs - little boys with a fishing theme. I had 2 sets of 12 but cut one wrong and another had a bad run in it so I will have 17-22. I just finished the 17th one. I'm hoping I can come up with something that will give me a full size quilt - these are 9 inch blocks so would probably need an alternate block and/or sashing/cornerstones added. I'm drawing a blank on alternate blocks - don't want something too complicated or that will make the embroidery seem to disappear. I've debated string quilt blocks on the diagonal - maybe 4 small ones that make a 9" block sewn into a diamond pattern...a 16 patch with just squares sewn together, 4 small rail fences sewn together...maybe making the embroidery squares the centers for an irish chain or double irish chain with white in the center chain...

any ideas? I did some little girls before starting this one and since I had no idaes i used a 30s print and sashed and did a border with the same print- needless to say it's a small quilt! cute but small. this has been my only experience with using embroidery blocks til these.

thanks for any advice!