Old 07-26-2014, 07:57 AM
DogHouseMom

Someone asked "what are shot cottons". It is a woven cotton where the warp and the weft are made of two different colors. Most shots have two different tones of the same color, but some have contrasting colors (a good example is Kaffe Fasset's color "Galvanized" which is a teal blue with a copper orange). When you look at shots they look one color one way, and other in the other direction. So even though it's a "solid" I will have to handle them as a directional print (at least on the same block, from block to block I won't care) or the colors will appear wrong.

Just to let you all know it's going to be a while before I start cutting and sewing. I have a LOT of planning to do. I've already designed the rough layout for a King size quilt (using all the blocks in a medallion layout with a good amount of negative space, and the triangle border), but I want to plan the specific placement of each block and the color of each block. The placement will be based on the amount of "color" vs "background" each block shows as well as the design, and once I have that figured out I'll color each of the blocks in my palette.

In the mean time ... I am certainly enjoying the progress all of you are making!!!