View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM
DonnaFreak

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
I'm sure we are all sane, including any who may suffer from depression. I assume you didn't mean to be offensive but juxtaposing 'sane' with 'depressed' is in fact very offensive.
NoveltyJunkie, I didn't mean to be offensive, and I'm so sorry you took it that way. Trust me...as someone who has been diagnosed with severe chronic depression as well as PTSD, I'm well aware that depression doesn't equal insanity. I also have a 21 year old daughter who is Autistic (and is absolutely perfect the way she is!), so I'm well aware of how offensive words and dirty looks can be.

But that one slipped by me, maybe because I'm more offended by people who are offensive toward my daughter than those who are toward me. I'm also more offended by those who are offensive because of their prejudices. I tend to come back in a joking manner about my own conditions and lighten the mood. That just works better for me, which is why I included myself in the "I have to worry about some of us" part of the statement. But I need to be aware that what works for me isn't necessarily what works for others.

So I agree with you, and I apologize for being offensive. Forgive me?

Donna