View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 AM
patper

Just discovered an amazing way to do it, from Nancy's Notions serger techniques book. First, trim the edge of the quilt layers to even things up, then use fusible thread in the lower looper, and sew the binding to the edge of the quilt, raw edges together, binding on the top. When you fold the binding over to the other side, gently iron it down on that side of the quilt. Voila! No pins, no basting, and best of all, no moving! I attach all this with the back of the quilt up, then fold to the front so I can see where I am going to stitch. I use some sort of a "bridging stitch" that sews into both the binding and quilt on the front side. If you don't have a serger, I think you could still do the same thing, with a zig zag stitch, and fusible hand-wound onto your bobbin. Corners are no problem. Sew to 1/4" of the corner, loosen needle threads, wiggle it off the loopers, do the usual 45-degree folding technique, turn the quilt, and sew the next side. I will never return to the old way. This was so quick, reliable, and effective on the entire queen size quilt I just finished.