View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 AM
quiltmaker52

Originally Posted by MargaretH View Post
I do so like your bag. I have made a good many bags and have found that a lot of the patterns can be vague in their instructions. I have never inserted a recessed zipper and want to add one to one of my favorite bag patterns, was it difficult? I am still googling others tutorials on this. I am finding a lot of different methods of doing this. Now to decide which one to follow.
I just watched this Debbie Shore video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8YHMqJi3a8

It is very similar to what I did for this bag. I cut 2 pieces 3 1/2 by app 21 and added fusible interfacing to each. Fold each piece in half so they are now 1 3/4 by 21. Each of these is placed on top of the zipper (just like in the video), raw edge on the zipper edge, folded edge covering the zipper (there is no fabric on the bottom of the zipper). I finished the zipper insert exactly as Debbie did, adding the end tabs.

I put this insert into the finished bag. To do this, measure down 3/4" from the long sides of the bag and mark. Pin the folded edges of the side zipper tabs to this line, then top stitch close to the edge. Make sure your bobbin thread matches the outside of your bag. The end tabs then get tucked under and inside the bag.

Hope this helps you. Zippers are not hard to do. They just seem intimidating.