Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
mckwilter

My first machine was a 1971 Singer 237, which I bought new. When I retired her after 35 years, it was because I couldn't wind bobbins on her (this was before the Sidewinder hit the market), not because she couldn't still sew. That was in 2005, and I purchased a Bernina Aurora 440 QE, which I thoroughly expect to last me 20-30 years. As with linda and nanna, I also have vintage machines -- six Singer Featherweights ranging from 1939 to 1964, all of which still work, and a 1936 Singer treadle which still works. I also have a 1928 Singer that I would like to get working one day. Then I have several Berninas, all from the early 2000s.

Also, my sister has several Berninas and a Pfaff from the 1980s, and they all still work.

I suggest you talk to the dealer who sold you the Babylock and see if he can fix whatever problems you are having with it. From everything I've read, it is supposed to be a very good machine. But if you aren't happy with it, then start looking for something you can be happy with. And if you treat your machine kindly and with the respect a well-made machine deserves, it should last you many years.