View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Originally Posted by Tartan
I trim to the quilt edge while squaring it up. My bindings are always full since the 1/4 inch binding on the front has the binding selvages, quilt top, batt and backing enclosed in them. I try to not trim any of the quilt edge away that will effect the top but I usually have a plain border so a smidge trimmed away doesn't cut any points off. I don't just cut my quilt edges straight but use a large square in each corner with my rulers in between so the whole quilt is squared before doing binding.
This is exactly what I do... but I don't understand why you would do it any other way. I can't figure out the other methods you are talking about. Could someone snap a picture so I can see what you're talking about? I'm confused
That only works if your intended finished binding is ¼". If you want a wider binding, and don't want to lose any part of your quilt top in the process, you must leave excess batting/backing extending beyond the edge of the quilted top. The amount that you leave will equal the desired finished width of the binding less the quater inch seam allowance included on the quilt top.

For example if you want a ½" binding, you'd leave ¼" of batting beyond the edge of the top. For a 5/8" binding, you'd trim the batting to 3/8" from the top's edge. Does that help explain it?

The easiest way to do it is to sew the binding onto the edge of the top as usual and then measure from that stitching line out onto the batting for the finished binding width you want and cut. The bulk of the batting/backing/seam allowances will add the necessary fullness and your front and back binding width will be the same.

ETA: Personally, I don't like ¼" bindings on much of anything, so I always leave extra batting. How much depends on the individual quilt. At my request, my longarmer does not trim anything at all.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-29-2014 at 06:45 AM.