View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM
cynicalbeauty

Default I Don't Know Where to Start!

Hello Quilting People,

I am at a complete loss and I need your guidance and advice to make a good decision. First a little back story.

I love quilting. My MIL is the one that got me started. She bought Pfaff 1222E for $15 bucks from a customer (she works for the postal service) brought it over and said "Happy Birthday! You're coming to quilting class with me n the fall." My Mom sews but because I have a disability I had never tried it before. I just assumed I couldn't because of the foot pedal operation; but I learned to sew one handed, using one hand to guide the fabric and one hand to operate the pedal. I have been sewing now for about five years and have pieced over 35 quilts, using my one handed method.

Now, I would like to be able to quilt small to medium sized projects myself, but I am unable to do this one handed. I would like to buy a machine has that push button option. Problem is I have no idea where to start. My Pfaff is pretty basic so I don't need anything supper fancy. I just want to be able to quilt small throws and baby quilts. I will have to save in order to buy one and am hoping to find something at or under $1,500.

Is that possible? Does anyone have any suggestions on machines I should try out? What features I should look for? measurements? I'm totally clueless here.

Anybody with a similar limitation have a suggestion?