View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If you are redoing seams over and over - maybe you need to go back further -

Are your pieces cut as accurately as possible? are your pattern pieces/templates correct? (Sometimes they are wrong.) Is there an error in the directions? (Sometimes that happens, too.)

Some fabrics, if unwashed, do shrink when they are pressed (with moisture) -

Yes, I do try for accuracy and precision - but I feel that after three tries, I need to recut the fabric pieces because all that stitching and unsewing has weakened the seam line.

And why did I mention the other things? Because I have encountered them. Some of the things one learns from experience.

I also will see if there is some other reason why things aren't working - because I usually get fairly close to what I am expecting to get.

Perfection? not possible.

I usually try to do as well as I can do - but there are times - when good enough - IS - good enough!

After three tries, if one intersection out of several just won't line up - and everything else is - so be it.
This is very close to where I'm at. Pointing up.

I started without a rotary cutter or mat. What a difference they make! My accuracy improved a lot just with those tools. The better your cutting is and the more accurately you set up your machine the more accurate your piecing will be. Wash and press your fabric before you start if it's possible. It helps eliminate surprises later. It also doesn't hurt to make a few extra blocks. You can pick out the best ones to use then.

That doesn't mean my work is perfect. Far from it. I drive my wife and daughter nuts because I point out every flaw.
My seams aren't always a perfect 1/4" and my points don't always line up. I do the best I can and if it's too bad I'll take it apart and start over. If I'm just a little off I'll live with it. I strive for perfection but know I'll never reach it. Sometimes close enough really is close enough.

A machinist friend told me there is no perfection, there is only "in spec" or "out of spec".
Rodney