View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM
jeanharville

I've enjoyed reading all your opinions and want to add mine. I'm new to quilting (sewed garments for decades) and the need for accurate cutting and seaming which sounds easy but is proving difficult for me. So many variables in achieving accurate seams and making blocks that fit together. I'm currently working on a quilt that is giving me tons of practice in developing these skills. And I am ripping and sewing, ripping and sewing until I get it right because I think if I can develop accuracy as I go, then maybe it will be close to second nature to me as I become more experienced. For instance, I've learned that I will have to get better before I can do chain sewing. I tried that at first (it looked so easy) and I was amazed at how off my seams could be. After ripping all that I sewed in one day, I started making and measuring one block at a time. That helped with my sewing accuracy and showed me my cutting had not been as true as it should have been; did some re-cutting. Also tried 3 different feet (2 different kinds of 1/4" and 1regular) before I decided which foot worked the best. Of course, I tried various needle positions with each foot. So there is a lot to know and be careful of just to get the 1/4 inch seam. Sorry to be so long winded, but this subject is using up my brain cells these days

Last edited by jeanharville; 07-30-2014 at 05:48 PM.