View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I think that is only partially true. If you read through this thread (no pun intended!):
http://forums.threadsmagazine.com/ga...sewing-machine
you will see a comment about the newer machines having "oil-emitting bearings". Perhaps the oil doesn't last forever, but it likely would not need topping up every year either. Also note that there is a difference between oiling a machine and getting a machine serviced.

My Bernina 1230 has not been in for service for at least 10 years. Granted, I do not use it heavily every day the way some sewers do; still, it has seen plenty of use in 10 years. I learned how to oil the bobbin race and do that regularly, and am very good about cleaning out lint. The machine still purrs as if it were brand new.

It's the "having it serviced as recommended" that I take issue with. The first few years I had my Bernina I took it to the dealership for professional servicing every year. The last time I did that the cost was over $100 and I noticed that the technician had never even bothered to change the top tension from the lower mark I had set it to for nylon monofilament thread. The machine was very clean when I took it in, so I suspected he did nothing but check the machine for lint. Not worth it for me! I decided then to take my machine in only if I noticed a change in how it was sewing. Been 10 years so far.......