Thread: Color bleeding
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have never had a black fabric bleed. I use only Kona black for use in my quilts. Usually I have mostly problems with reds. I also am very careful with what I use when washing a quilt. I NEVER use the same detergent I use to wash my clothes. I use a product more geared towards washing antique linens.
This is strange, because I put a whole bolt (18 yards!) of Kona black in the washer just yesterday (using hot water) and the water turned a dark grey. I then emptied the water and set it for another wash in hot water with Retayne, and that time the rinse water was absolutely clear. Kona black can definitely bleed, like crazy.

Carol, in your case I would wash the quilt again in lots of cold water with color catchers and/or Synthrapol and hopefully the black will come out of the spots where it doesn't belong. It might take more than one wash.

Color catchers don't stop a fabric from bleeding. They just help to keep the bleeding from settling on other fabrics. And one wash isn't always enough to get all the excess dye out of fabric. I've learned that the hard way too. You really have to look at the rinse water to see if the excess dye is all out.