Thread: Color bleeding
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carol515 View Post
I just finshed a quilt. I washed it using a color catcher, and it stilled bleed leaving black all over my qu8ilt. how can I get it out?
I would get some Synthrapol, go to a local laundromat, and choose a front-loading machine that uses *lots* of water. You want lots of water to dilute the dye in the water. Use hot water (Synthrapol requires hot water to work). Examine the quilt when it comes out of the washing machine. If there is still dye in the places where it shouldn't be, run the machine again with Synthrapol and hot water.

I wash all my quilts for the first time this way. Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in the water so they can be rinsed away instead of settling into fabric. When done with the first wash, I have never had loose dye stain fabrics. Once the loose dye has settled into the fabrics, though, it can take more than one washing to get all the loose stuff out again.

Synthrapol is widely available online and from quilt shops that cater to dyers. Here is a link to it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Synthrapol-Con...dp/B001PUXELG/