View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by Sandy1951
Edie,

It's too bad all of Earlene Fowler's books aren't on audio. Her latter books in the Benni Harper series are much more enjoyable if you've read/heard the first ones.

I found the other quilting series I was thinking of. Terri Thayer is the author and the books are:

Old Maid's Puzzle
Wild Goose Chase
Ocean Waves

I don't think these are as good as some, but Thayer is a long-time quilter and definitely knows the quilting business. One of the reviews of "Old Maid's Puzzle" calls it a "cutting-edge drama deftly sliced to reveal the sass beneath the surface of the quilting business." The main character is Dewey Pelicano, a computer techie who just inherited her recently-deceased mother's quilting store. Her sister-in-law is one of the employees and she most definitely does not like Dewey taking over the store, which is a major part of the storyline. Also, Dewey gets a new boyfriend at the beginning of the first book. He and Dewey have an active sex life and the inclusion of this in the first book evidently offended some readers because there are several negative reviews on Amazon that mention it. :lol: Personally, I don't remember anything very shocking, so I got a chuckle out of those reviews. Jeez, aren't quilters allowed to have sex? Evidently not in quilt cozies! :roll:

I am definitely going to read Nancy E. Turner's books. I was quite impressed by the reviews on Amazon of "These Is My Words." I really want to read it right now, but we're moving this weekend and I've simply GOT to do the packing.
And I have a feeling that once I start reading it I won't be able to put it down. So I'll try to be a good girl and do my chores first, even though I'd much rather read. Sigh...
Be sure to read them in the right order. These is My Words followed by Sarah's Quilt and then The Star Garden. They are all about one family.

I also found another trilogy by Nora Roberts. The Irish Trilogy - "Jewels of the Sun", "Tears of the Moon" and Heart of the Sea". The three titles fit together. The books are done with an Irish brogue (or is that the Scots). Anyhow, one of the characters sounds exactly like Carmel Quinn, if you remember her, if you are old enough. She used to be on Arthur Godfrey's shows, if you remember him, if you are old enough.

Thank you very much for the titles of the books. I hope your move is uneventful, all your dishes are unbroken and no scratches in your furniture and no snow. Edie