View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Rodney

The start of the repair process. First off I'm starting repairs to the "new" drawer. It's simple. Work wood glue into the cracks where the veneer and applique are separating. It can take a while especially if you have a limited amount of clamps. Glue it up and find something else to do for the rest of the day while the glue dries. Repeat as needed until it's glued back together.
The first couple pictures are some of the damage wanting to be repaired.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486106[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486107[/ATTACH]
Forcing the glue in. I pried out the loose veneer gently, squirted in some glue and worked it in as much as I could with some thin cardboard.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486108[/ATTACH]
Clamp it and wipe off the excess. There's actually a few repairs being glued and clamped here. Some of the applique was lifting off too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486109[/ATTACH]
Next up is the broken Pitman arm. This repair is a little more challenging.
The old repair. It was covered with old cloth friction tape when I was given the machine. Not bad as far as repairs go.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486110[/ATTACH]
The damage.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486112[/ATTACH]
The first step after looking it over is to trim back to good wood. You can't just cut off the end. End grain repairs are weak. This is what's left after trimming.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486113[/ATTACH]
I don't know the species of wood used in the original arm. I have some maple that I decided would work for the replacement wood. I found it easier to make two patches to glue to the arm to re-create the end.
Glued and clamped.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486114[/ATTACH]
I'll continue tomorrow. It's been hot and muggy the last few days. I do a little in the morning then do my best to hide from the heat the rest of the day. I'm not getting much done.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails repairs-ella-001.jpg   repairs-ella-002.jpg   repairs-ella-003.jpg   repairs-ella-005.jpg   repairs-ella-007.jpg  

repairs-ella-009.jpg   repairs-ella-010.jpg   repairs-ella-011.jpg