Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 PM
oldtisme

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I've found it true that trying to starch after making the block can cause even more problems. I just hoped the sizing in the batiks would keep them from stretching much, but no.

So, remember I had 16 blocks? I started putting them together in rows yesterday...I did not even know that a person could make a Hunter's Star block backward, but I had done it - 4 times! So I got three rows sewn and looking reasonably good, and took 4 blocks partially apart yesterday. Hope to get them back together the right way!
I used the 45 degree line going through the center to do my trimming and indeed, had to turn the blocks around several times, trimming a sliver here and there. I still had a few where one side or another wasn't quite straight, but I eased them in ok.

For those that suggested sashing - that is certainly doable, but these blocks make more stars where they intersect, and I didn't want to lose those. This has been fun, but it's hard to sew all those little pieces together and make all the seams match. I'm going back to layer cakes for a while after this!
Last 2 batches of layer cakes I bought...both the same...I had to square them all to 9 1/2 they were so off square. No more buying Layer Cakes for me, I'll make my own ty