View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM
nanna-up-north

Welcome to the QB and vintage group, ApronandThimble. Congrats on getting a lovely FW.

I checked out your pictures and she seems to be in good shape. I certainly have seen some a lot worse. I own 5 FWs ranging from 1947-1958 so I'd like to make a few suggestions, if I may.

I have never used kerosene on any of my FWs or other vintage machines as well. It might be just fine but I've only used SMoil. A lot of us here use tri-flow oil. Others don't use it because it is a synthetic oil. You will have to be the judge. I would suggest viewing Muv's video on cleaning up vintage machines. You'll find it near the beginning of the Vintage page. She's cleaning up a much older machine but the principles are the same. There are some tutorials on cleaning up FWs on utube. That might help, too.

When I was looking at your pictures, I noticed that it looked like thread was wrapped around the finger on your bobbin case. Any thread needs to be removed carefully.

So, ask questions, post pictures, share your successes and failures. We'll encourage you and try to help you when you need it.